Monday, June 1, 2009

Hear us ROAR!!

No I'm not trying to activate all of you for N.O.W. but I had a confidence booster this weekend for women everywhere, well ok for me. A friend, also a female, and I went riding Saturday for a 46 mile ride around West Mountain (south of Utah Lake) and this is the first time I've done this long of a ride more than 20 min from home and more importantly without Scott or any other male. Just two little fragile women out to experience the road on their own. Scott was concerned for us and loaded us for bear with extra tubes, air cartridges, water, red bulls and of course our cell phones and he probably hid a gps tracking device somewhere on me. He was worried that we would get a flat tire and "what would we do???" I have changed a flat tire before in a class but never on the road and my friend Lynn has never changed a flat and she barely pumps up her own tires just because the men always jump to take care of her bike before she rides. After a group ride we have even had Bud, he's 70 and still riding like he's 40, clean off our legs with windex to get all the sprocket kisses off (where your leg rubs against the chain and you get grease marks on you). The men in our group are always making sure we are taken care off. It's pretty funny and also kind of nice because we usually don't have to get are hands dirty and be worried about ruining our nails. Anyway back to the "small step for woman kind." Yes, you knew it was coming---we had two flat tires, not one-- two and the second one was my back tire!! Back tires are just a little more annoying to change than the front. I do have to give props to two men, yes men who happened to pull up as Lynn was getting her bike out her car and realized her tire was flat. They offered to help and did--Lynn and I were laughing at the irony of the situation. For a year and a half I have had only one flat tire and Scott was there to change it for me. Anyway, Lynn and I changed her tire with the men throwing in helpful hints and easy way to do it instructions, but yes Lynn and I did the dirty work. Then halfway through our ride out in the middle of farm country south of Utah Lake with no one around we changed my back tire. We were laughing so much it was a wonder we could do it. I told Lynn Scott must have been praying for us because we had a refresher course with step by step instructions in the parking lot so we would be able to handle the flat while we were out in timbuktoo!!
Well we did it! Our hands, legs, and arms got greasy and dirty but we did it without a man present. We did call Scott to share the moment with him and he did offer to call search and rescue but we declined. Oh ya and we did have to ask him how to open the cartridge holder---you unscrew it!!! It was on so tight it took a few minutes to loosen it--we thought there was some secret catch on it. Oh what a funny funny day. Lynn took a picture of my greasy black hands and sent it to Scott and I don't know who else because I've already had one of the other guys send me a "atta girl." Gloria Stienham is probably disgusted that it has taken us this long to change our own flat tires. Oh well, gotta protect the nail polish and for heavens sake why not, why else do we bring the men along on our rides.
Lynn said it best---WE ROCK!!!

3 comments:

Laura said...

Way to go Nancy! I'm truly impressed. I have learned to change a car tire (had to a couple of times). Recently I've changed the tube in Baylee's bike. But, never in the middle of nowhere. That's sooo cool.

Laura said...

I want to see a picture of your hands. Too funny. Again, I have to say. You rock!

Lori said...

Kudos! YOU ROCK! Nanci your always my example of "the first small (or big) step for woman kind!" soccer--biking whatever you put your mind to--way to go!