Saturday, June 13, 2009

Hi you guys. It's a rainy Saturday but it's supposed to get nice next week. Thank goodness or my kids won't put their big toe in for swim lessons and I'll be out $120. I just had to say that I made it through my first soccer game! Now I'm not saying this to brag because it was pathetic but I'm trying to keep everyone motivated and boy if a forty-year old non-athletic mother of 5 can play with the big boys then ANYONE can! I was regretting signing up all week and wondered how hard it would be to fake an injury. I even had a dream I had signed up for wrestling and they couldn't find a small helmet so the guy gave me a crocheted head-gear thing I put on. Then I started practicing some boxing moves and thought "Wait, I'm not supposed to hit the other guy."
Well Craig & I scrounged up some gear. Luckily Craig fits into Brennan's cleats and I fit into Duncan's cause who wants to spend money! We looked like quite a pair.
Anyway, that was the first time I have ever worn cleats and the first I've played soccer unless you count P.E. which I don't. I actually had a really good time. I wore a band for the newbies which was my secret weapon. They actually let me have the ball a bit. But I got into it more than I thought I would. It's kind of fun to get in there. There were people from 19 to probably 45 or so. I was feeling pretty good -I actually kicked the ball a few times! and some awesome defending. Har but I did totally miss the ball once when I tried to kick it. How embarrassing. I have so much more empathy for my kids now. But it felt so good on a Saturday morning to be running around in the rain. I wish I would have done more sports when I was younger. Not because I'm great but because it is so fun. It's too bad there is this idea that you are either athletic or you're not. I'm trying to get my girls to like sports just so they feel like they can if they want to.
Nanci - you were so brave to play soccer with the boys in HS. Danny Broadbent was on the other team and I was guarding him. It was hilarious! He didn't wear shin guards. Apparently his calves are made of steel.
So are you guys motivated?
I have to say it is so much easier to do things like this now my kids are bigger. It was very hard to find a time to do much of anything when they were all little so I'm very impressed with you guys for getting out there. Keep it up! By the way - where does Amy live?
Jaime

4 comments:

Laura said...

Jaimie I'm not sure where Amy lives. But, I'll bet it is in Highland or American Fork somewhere. I always pass her kind of by Freedom Elementary in Highland. It's the farthest part of my run away from my house. Did that sentence make sense? I've decided I'm not a good writter. Anyhow, if I could just breath when I pass her I would try to ask her question.

Laura said...

Lori, I always have to push Post Comment twice on this blog. I think because it sends the comments to all of our emails it has to think twice before it accepts them. Kinda wierd. Hope that helps.

Laura said...

Hey that time I only had to push post a comment once. Hmmmm. . . I'm trying one more time to see if it accepts my comment.

Lori said...

trying it out!