Saturday, June 27, 2009

More climbing and an instant dislike for irresponsible dog owners

I rode Emigration Canyon again last Saturday and found out that officially Emigration has two mountains to climb--Little Mtn and Big Mtn. So to be able to check off a ride up Emigration I rode Little Mtn again and added Big Mtn for a total of 15 miles up and then 15 miles down in half the time or less. Down is way more fun! The Big Mtn is of course bigger and I was much slower going up that part but I did make it to the top.
This Tuesday I rode up AF Canyon via the rifle range road starting from my house but I only made it up to Timp Cave parking lot before my time allotment was used up. I've got to get faster. My goal by the middle of August is to ride the entire AF Canyon to Cascade Springs, Timpanookee and Tibble Fork a total of 46 miles--half of it climbing some pretty steep grades. Hopefully I won't have a heart attack or pass out from breathing to hard (can you do that??) it sure feels like I could when I'm climbing steep parts. "When" (not if) I can do this I will be ready for my LOTOJA climbing segments.
Today (Saturday) I spent an hour + riding up Millcreek Canyon in Salt Lake (35 minutes coming down) A very good climb especially the last couple of miles--steep little sections that make me breathe like I'm going through labor again and my legs scream. It felt great to make it to the top I just need to get stronger so I can go faster. I almost ran over a dog on the way down or it almost ran over me. The top half of the canyon is still closed to cars so we were enjoying the ride down but careful to share the road with all the hikers hiking up the road with their dogs which by law they are supposed to have them on leashes. Well--very few dogs were on leashes and one very large poodle mix of some sort (a large dog) was excited to check out other hikers and cyclists and as I was coming down at 20+ mph on my side of the road (on the far right I might add to give plenty of space to the hikers and dogs) this poodle came running towards me excited to say hello. I could see that this dog was running all over the road for about 30-40 feet before I got to it so I had started to pump my brakes to slow down but then it came running right towards me. I hit both brakes and my back tire fish tailed and I let out a yelp. The dog bounded off and the owners stood there with dumb grins on their faces like it was just too cute to see their dog say hello to the cyclists. Scott was right behind me and wasn't too pleased with the owners lack of control of their dog and needless to say neither was I. My heart was pumping!! I have yet to experience any kind of accident on my bike and I work real hard to maintain this clean riding record by obeying the traffice laws and following cycling ettiquete too. It's frustrating when other people don't obey the laws also and put others in harms way. Well, that was my moment on the soap box.
Next week: More hills, a speed interval ride and I'm trying to get running again two days a week. I'll let you know if I work it all in plus of course cleaning and laundry. Scott believes that everyone is happy and everything works out when the house is clean. If only Cole and Jack would cooperate more with Scott's thinking--life would be easier.
I'm optimistic about my goals but as always daily life gets in the way so I'll be happy to just get out on the road when I can.
I hope everyone is having a fun, safe summer.
Keep on moving!!

1 comment:

Laura said...

That was really scary. Glad you are okay. Dog owners do not understand how liable they are when they don't obey leash laws. They would have been totally liable for your injuries if you were hurt. They should not have been smiling. Glad everything turned out okay.