Sunday, June 7, 2009

Little Red Riding Hood

Saturday I spent 6 hours and 38 minutes on the bike at the Little Red Riding Hood Women Only Ride in Logan, Utah. We rode the entire 103 miles of the ride and counting the stops it was an 8:02 hour event---not counting the ice cream eating laughing relaxing at the finish line part.

It was a great day shivering in the rain, fighting the wind that kept changing directions so we were always fighting a headwind or crosswind never a tailwind and the hills--the hills just kept on coming. It was advertised as a pretty flat with a few rolling hills ride but someone thought they were pretty funny writing that description or they are a pro rider where it must be a mountain climb to be considered a hill. Maybe the hills weren't that big and bad it just seemed like we were always going up and never down. Figure that one out I don't get it either but it's true although we did have one descent for about a half mile and I hit 40 mph. What an incredible rush. It's a drug.

We stuffed ourselves at the food stops with bananas, oranges, pb&j's and lemon lime gatorade among other high sugar and carb snacks and a ham subway sandwich for lunch has never tasted so good. Among many bonuses of riding these long rides is that to keep up your endurance and energy you have to eat and eat a lot. Cheetos and oreo cookies are also on the menu and they're guilt free on these days. Woohooo. My hr monitor recorded I burned 4487 calories. I don't know how accurate that is but give or take a couple of hundred for error I'll take it and enjoy my oreo cookies and the after the ride creamie ice cream treat.

I took some pictures on my phone and I'll post them when I figure out how to send them to the computer.

Just an incredible day. My riding pals (Lynn, Chris and Stacey) work with Scott and we hung together all day riding in a line taking turns pulling (leading the line) and we looked cool factor 50 with matching pink jerseys and socks. Pink is the official color of the Little Red Riding Hood because part of the funds go to cancer research for women.

It was awesome!! Did I say that already. It was. Next weekend Scott and I are off to Brigham City to ride the Tour de Cure Century. I'll finally visit Promontory Point for the first time. Mr Thompson (4th grade) would finally be proud that I'm visiting a Utah historical spot we learned about and even sung about.

Just a fun fun exhausting weekend with the girls. Now back to the day to day laundry, dishes and daily routine. Keep on running, lifting, cycling, walking, dancing, breathing and smiling. Every mile counts and one day we'll all pause to look back and be truly amazed at how far we've come!!!

Rain or shine let's ride!!!!

1 comment:

Laura said...

Great Nancy! That sounds like you had a great day. I am amazed at your endurance. You must be in shape because you are enjoying all of this. That is so great.