Monday, May 18, 2009

Summary of the last two weeks in a novel

My brain is all dried up I guess because the words are just not coming. I have been exercising the last two weeks-- some running but more riding. Scott, Jack and I walked the Breast Cancer 5K on May 9. We did try to break out of the pack and run a little but with 18 thousand people it just didn't work. It was incredible. I have never been to an event like this with so many people. We were in the middle it seemed because in the front of us as far as you could see up the road was a sea of people and as far back down the road as you could see was a solid wall too! I think I heard on the news it was 18 thousand people but I could have heard wrong. It took us 55 min to finish the 5k but it was a lot of fun. Jack didn't last long in the stroller he wanted to run with everyone. He was so cute and fun because he'd run and pump his arms (one still in a cast) and he was happy to be part of it all. People would cheer for him and it would make him pump his arms and run faster. When he runs faster that just means his legs move up and down faster. It is great fun to watch.
Yesterday (May 16th) we rode 104 miles in the SL Century. It started at the Salt Lake Fairgrounds and we rode north for 52 then turned around. It meandered through neighborhoods and out to Antelope Island where we had a second lunch of bugs and then back to the fairgrounds. The actually riding part took 6 hours and the stop offs for drinks, lunch, energy food, etc added on a little over an hour. It was a great day. I kept up with the boys for 85 miles but I couldn't keep up their 20+ mph so the last 15 miles I rode myself but still did so much better than last year. I was quite thrilled with my improvement. I kept up my speed at 17 to 19 mph on the last 15 miles and I felt great--my legs were tired but still strong. Last year I was working hard to keep up my speed at 14 or 15, my butt was hurting, my forearms and shoulders were hurting and my hands were going numb. Makes you wonder why I kept going through last summer but I did and I'm so glad. This is like a drug. I have two more weeks and then I'm heading to Logan for the Little Red Riding Hood all womens century and the week after that I have the Tour de Cure Century in Brigham City. This is just too much fun.
Forget the drag out of bed, boring, got to do it exercising---find something that you love and it all changes. I want to lift weights and work on core exercises and run and eat right so I can be a better cyclist. My goals are conquering Suncrest (hill), Emigration canyon, AF canyon and of course the moutain climbs at LOTOJA and also looking great in the group pictures. We took one at the fairgrounds and it was awful--don't know what I was doing or thinking but I look like an East German athlete that you question which gender. I must have been sucking in, trying not to slouch or the angle I was standing makes me look like a have shoulders the size of a shot put thrower---Ugggg.
Anyway I'm trying to stay calm and remember moderation in all things so I need to do laundry, clean and prepare for activity days. Sorry about the book.

1 comment:

Laura said...

How fun for you guys. And GO Jack!