Saturday, May 2, 2009

The race is on!

Friday night after much anxiety and anticipation (for several days) we found out we are in LOTOJA 2009. It is limited to 1000 cyclists and you have to draw out. Very exciting but now it is on and the hard part starts. I have til Sept 12 to be ready to ride minimum of92 miles and 46 of those miles are up and over a mountain and I need to avg 15mph so our team can finish the 206 miles before dark. Last year I rode 81 miles from Afton WY into Jackson Hole--rolling hills and headwinds but not too bad when I was all jacked up with adrenaline and energy drinks. At one point we were going 23 mph which for a beginner cyclist like myself was just lightning McQueen incredible!!! (The experienced cyclist probably warms up at 23-they were buzzing past me like flies---I wanted to swat them!!)
Anyway cycling is so much fun and I am addicted to it-- plus an added bonus we get to wear spandex and brightly colored jerseys so everyone can see us!!! Jaime and Laura might be able to pick me out of a group or recognize me alone on the roads around town this summer because I'll be the cyclist with orange striped legs to match the bright jersey. Scott was making fun of my extremely white legs so I tried the spray on tan. You would think it wouldn't be so difficult but I will be changing my name to Mrs Oompa Loompa--(I'm not sure how to spell my new name.) I have orange striped legs and I'm trying to fill in the stripes but they still look pretty funny. I'll just have to ride fast so people won't get a second look. They'll think about it for a second and then not believe what they just saw and life will go on.
It's time to sign up for Hobble creek. May 1st was the first day to sign up and I got nervous about running and cycling both and I haven't signed up yet. I know people train for triathalons but how do they manage to fit it all in with family and other responsibilities. I'm going to do it just because I need the goal to keep me going. I need the extra endorphins from running to keep me sane and happy.
Way to go Christi on your 10K. You are my inspiration. I'm working hard to be able to keep up with you especially when we hike Timp.
Keep on running/walking/biking/hiking/playing and blogging!!!! (And drinking!!!) That would be water of course but occasionaly a hard drink is needed--chugging root beer always burns going down.
AND DON'T FORGET TO LAUGH!!! We're not getting old we are getting better with age!!

No comments: