Monday, September 20, 2010

LOTOJA 2010

Here is a link to pictures taken from zazoosh at lotoja my number is 6818 you can type in to see more-- http://www.zazoosh.com/photos/343011183 . (you'll have to copy and paste)
I rode leg 2 which started in Preston ID and ended at Montpelier, ID--47 miles-- 20 which were up hill-- exhausting--6mph and telling myself that I didn't feel any pain in my legs-no pain no pain was my mantra for 2 hours. It took me 3 hours and 23 minutes---I was thrilled to be close to the three hour mark. This year I wasn't as prepared for the climbing as last year but the last two years leg two riders have averaged 3 hours so I feel good about my ride.
The down hill on this leg was only approx 4 miles after all that climbing-- not cool-- but I tried to make up time hitting 40mph+ on the downhill. What an incredible rush!! Lots of rolling flats after that between Ovid and Montpelier that was just plain work when riding by yourself. No trains to catch onto this year. The leg ended with an overpass into Montpelier which left my giggling from exhaustion. After climbing up to 7400 ft in elevation an overpass was almost too much for me to climb over and coast into the transition area.
Next year is already in planning. This year I really slacked off on climbing rides. My strength and even endurance was down from last year and I didn't like that one bit. I'm going to train smarter this next year--train during the winter and not eat any cream puffs. Plus I'm going to throw swimming in the mix.
Scott Kettle also rode LOTOJA this year but he was one of the super riders who rode the full 206 miles by himself. Incredible!! He rode the entire ride faster by himself than our relay team rode it. Again INCREDIBLE. This is his 2nd year at LOTOJA. I didn't see him at the race but talked to Sharon the week after at the store.
So much fun to ride and be active. So many people of all ages and sizes that are inspiring and make me want to healthy and active and enjoy life to the fullest.

2 comments:

Lori said...

my brother-in-law rode in this race also...how many people ride?

Nanci said...

LOTOJA caps at 1000 entries but one entry could mean 5 riders on a relay team. I read somewhere that there were about 1500 riders.